Sunday, May 23, 2010

Short Sleeps and (dare I say) food poisoning? (Day 1: Kunming)

Oh boy, what a morning. We thought we would be late for our flight. Reception only had 1 person and we were waiting patiently (well... Stuart was...) to check-out and get our deposit back. Also, Stu ordered toast (to ensure we would get it quickly)... and that took over 20 minutes. We didn't end up heading out the door until 7:35 (yikes!) and we had heard that the airport busses only come ever 20 minutes, and we still had a 10-15 minute walk to get to where the airport busses come.

We walked in the wrong direction (it was early, okay!) for about 5 minutes (thank goodness we realized it!) and ended up catching an airport bus the minute we got there. Awesome!

We didn't have to wait in the huge line at the airport for some reason which was weird... maybe it was because we didn't have our tickets and had to pick them up.. but for whatever reason they took our luggage through right away which rocked.

When we got to the terminal there was a guy that we had talked to from our hostel (going on the same flight/same place as us... even same hostel!) so we chatted with him while we waited.

The flight was short and sweet and comfortable and even had a meal!

When we got our luggage we re-met up with the guy and his Chinese friend and all headed together to the hostel (by bus).

I had written down directions to get there that said 3 stops on one bus, 5 stops on another...

Three stops later I said 'okay, this is our stop' and the chinese guy said it wasnt. I said that I had written down that it was and he said no, it was one more stop.

We went one more stop....

I was right. So annoying!

(by the way, it is SO hot here today) and we waited for the stupid 52 bus to take us 3 more stops in that direction before transfering.

The white guy from our hostel was like 'Let's just get a taxi!' It was a pretty good idea and the Chinese guy paid for it. (sa-weet!)

This hostel sucks. But I guess that was bound to happen eventually. I wont get into it now because I've been typing this 3 days worth of blog for the last 1/2 hour and don't feel like it. Maybe tomorrow.

We went to find something to eat and ate at this little hole in the wall. It was probably the worst thing we've ever had. Cold noodles with water ('broth') but it was just cold water with green onions, cilantro, and the SPICY-EST RED SAUCE YOU'VE EVER HAD!

We ate it... but it was uber bad.

We went to a grocery store after that and walked around and sat in their massage chairs for a while. (Stu and I are all about massage chairs... you may have noticed).

We got some snacks and a bunch of water.

(**Note to self: write about the lady with the cookies in the next blog**)

On our way home I started to feel seriously ill.

I was in the room (stuart left for a bit) and I was lying on the bed feeling like I was going to explode, when suddenly, I did...

Ran to the common bathroom and... projectile vomit... everywhere.
The bathrooms have no toilet paper.
Ewww.

I didn't have the key, cuz stu had it, so I sat outside of our room and felt like I couldn't get up... eventually stu helped me up and I lied as still as I could in bed for a while before falling asleep.

When I woke up I felt mostly better but really hungry.

We went out to look for food and everything was GRODY to the max (pigs feet, pigs stomach... etc.) and everywhere we went smelled like wet dog. No thanks.

Stuart started feeling serioulsy sick, too and we came back to the hostel and forced ourselves to eat something. It wasn't so bad and I feel a bit better after eating.
I think stu still feels gross and I still feel semi-gross.

Anyway, those are our days! Hopefully we feel better tomorrow, it's our anniversary for crying out loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment