Friday, June 18, 2010

Hoi An/Nha Trang

Last time I wrote this we were in Hue...
since then (and a couple long long bus rides later) we have arrived in Nha Trang

Let's backtrack a bit...

Hoi An...

We were in Hoi An for a grand total of one night with our new nearest and dearest: Daina and Kris
Our place was slightly dingy, and we spent quite some time walking in the wrong direction to get to it.
HOWEVER, our time in Hoi An (after day 1) ended up being quite enjoyable!
After a nice dinner out the day we got there, the four of us went exploring to see what kind of night life Hoi An has to offer...
and we discovered quickly that there is none whatsoever... all there is is plenty of cockroaches, sketchy ally's, and dicey men on motorcycles. Good night Hoi An!

Hoi An is famous for a trade that makes my heart go a'flutter: Tailor Made BEAUTIFUL clothes.
They aren't dirt cheap, but boy do they have every fabric imaginable, and man are they amazing!
After a morning of fun with Stuart at a tailor shop, I had decided on six dresses (four fancy, two casual) and Stu had decided on an amazing suit complete with a vest, 2 ties, and a shirt.

We spent the afternoon walking to the beach with Kris and Daina while our clothes were being made.
The walk was lo---ooo---oong but nice to get some exercise in the sunshine. (ps it's like 45 here)
At the beach we ran into our lovely friends from Holland (who are the most insane girls ever... I could tell you stories... but I'll spare the ears of those that don't want to be shocked and dismayed!) and talked to them for a while and swam in the clear blue ocean!

We took a taxi back, showered at our hotel, and then it was time to pick up our new clothes!
In 7 hours they had created masterpieces to perfectly fit in the colours and styles that I had chosen... siiigh. it was amazing.
At the last moment, I decided to throw in the most amazing coat I'd ever seen and that was that, it's getting shipped to Stu's parents house as we speak.

That night we had a somewhat rushed dinner, and headed for Nha Trang on the bus.

The bus was a complete nightmare...
We were going down windy mountain roads... and the tire popped.
I can't even describe... like, it was like the bus was constantly in an earthquake. It was pretty scarry and none of us got very much sleep.

Yesterday was our first day here and we spent it exactly the way I had pictured spending it: lying on the beach.
Amazing!
Six kilometers of white sand beach, can you imagine?!
So beautiful!
But.... I fell asleep in the sun for a couple of hours and burned my entire body to a crisp. It was miserable!
I spent the rest of the night moaning and groaning and went to bed at 9 o'clock!

This morning we woke up to a stuffy room... where had our precious AC gone? Why had the fan stopped spinning 'round!?
It turns out that every other day the power gets shut off in Nha Trang... every other day!!!

Thankfully it was another amazing day and after slathering the whole of my body in SPF 70 and putting on pants we ventured outside and spent pretty much the whole day at the beach in the shade.

I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' and it's awesome so far!
Just finished 'The Zahir' which BLEW CHUNKS and I wouldn't recommed it to my worst enemy. (by Paulo Coleho, Author of 'The Alchemist'... which I loved)

The end!

1 comment:

  1. I've read A Thousand Splendid Suns twice. Once because it was awesome. And a second time with my book club.
    It will make you so thankful that you were born in Canada.

    SIX dresses. Six tailor made dresses. Looking forward to seeing pics of you in them. They sound awesome.

    Just googled Nha Trang to see pics.
    Yeah. I'm going to add this beach to my bucket list. Spectacular.

    Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete