Monday, June 28, 2010

PP!

A little tid bit before I dive in:

Last night I was stuck in an elevator. By myself.
I was going down down down when all of a sudden the elevator dropped and then slammed to a halt.
I waited 2 minutes to see if anything would happen, then pressed the emergency button.
I screamed "Hello?!" ... then nothing... then a minute later, some guys voice (I could barely hear him!) and I had no idea what he had said. Then nothing...
Then a little while later I heard him again "five minutes" was all I heard, then we were cut off again...
Then... DARKNESS! The power was completely shut off. I totally panicked and started yelling
"HELP HELP!" ... waited and waited, then the lights came back on, and, miracle of miracles, the elevator was making its descent!

Elevators = never. again. in. Cambodia.
(unless Stuart is with me and convinces me we'll be fine)


2 days ago:

Wait wait wait. I have to tell you about our horrible night at the cheap hotel.
Stuart and I literally got 10 minutes of sleep all night. and not in a good way.
It was SO hot and the fan was rarrin' and we were sinking into the bed and the pillows were made of burlap sacs and don't even get me started on the bathroom!

but...

It ended up working to our advantage because we had kind of talked about waking up at 4:30 and going to Olympic Stadium to watch the locals get down and funky.
We don't have a clock or an alarm except for the alarm we just realized we have on our iPod (which we don't have speakers for)... and I swear all night I was just waiting for it to go off so we could get up, shower, and leave!

We woke up Daina to come along with us, and I was surprisingly energetic as we briskly walked to the stadium, chattering all the while.
Glad we went.
Hundreds and hundreds of Cambodians were there dancing and doing aerobics.
Did I join them? Absolutely!
Not for very long though... I was getting some 'looks'...
because I was white?
Because I was bad?
Probably a combo of both.

Stu and I packed up our stuff after that and headed back to the Burly Hotel (where we stayed the first night) to assure ourselves that a good night sleep was ahead.

After that we had breakie and went to the Russian Market!
I am so regretting not buying anything there and now it's too late :( We're leaving this morning!
There are cheap DVD's and knock off Hollister and American Eagle. (they're good at knocking off!!)

We went to a church service at the World Vision Building after that (wow, it was nice to go to church after almost 2 months!) Glad James recommended it.
We met a lady there who teaches English at 'Place of Rescue' (where J+J worked) and she could hook us up with a tuk tuk ride and tour there the following day. Aces!

After church we had an AMAZING lunch at the Russian market, came home, and headed right back out to the killing fields.

Genocide at its most brutal.

After we took another trip to some gun place and Stu, Daina, and Kris shot an M-16 (not exactly my cup of tea!)


Our ride home was INTENSE! It was pouring rain... hard, and the tuk tuk driver tried to pull the sides of our carriage down for us, but apparently had quite a time with it and it ended up flying in the wind.

I can't describe it well enough, but it was hilariously miserable and we got some good video footage to show when we get home!

Went out to a smashing restaurant for dinner... thai and chinese, yum yum! Unfortunately, it was also panning out to be our 'farewell meal' with Kris and Daina. They were heading to Siem Reap, we were staying in PP for another day and then heading south.


Rescue


The next morning we woke bright and early and had breakfast in the gas station where we had planned to meet the woman that was hooking us up with a tuk tuk to the Rescue.
Ice coffee with condensed milk proved just the ticket for us to perk up for the journey ahead.

...Actually we slept for most of the ride...

We got a tour of the Place of Rescue (if you don't know what that is, it's where James and Julia worked 3 years ago). It rocks. It was awesome to see the place and the what God's doing here!

The rest of the day was spent relaxing and shmucking around doing a whole lot of nothing and loving every minute!


Will write about Kep, Rabbit Island and Kampot later... right now... too tired...





No comments:

Post a Comment